Financing public infrastructure in Zimbabwe: Current trends and future alternatives

  • 241 Views
  • 35 Downloads

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License

Zimbabwe requires USD2 billion annually until 2032 for financing economic infrastructure. However, the Government of Zimbabwe currently affords about 20% of this financing requirement leaving an 80% gap. The aim of the study was to establish the main sources of finance for economic public infrastructure and recommend alternative financing sources to supplement the current sources. The qualitative descriptive study collected primary data through 23 interviews conducted with officials from ministries of the Government of Zimbabwe, government departments and parastatal enterprises. Secondary data was obtained from documentary analysis. The study revealed bilateral loans from the China Exim Bank as the main source of finance for economic infrastructure, contributing USD2.1 billion whilst budget appropriations from the Government of Zimbabwe contributed USD1 billion during the 10-year period under study. Infrastructure finance was also obtained from development partners (USD200 million) and commercial and multilateral lenders (USD400 million). The study recommends developing a framework that promotes and protects private sector and/or innovative financiers of infrastructure through policy stability.

view full abstract hide full abstract
    • Table 1. Respondents’ demographic information (n = 23)
    • Table 2. Transport infrastructure projects undertaken
    • Table 3. Main sources of public infrastructure finance estimates (10-year period)
    • Conceptualization
      Tonderai Kapesa
    • Data curation
      Tonderai Kapesa
    • Formal Analysis
      Tonderai Kapesa, Gift Mugano
    • Investigation
      Tonderai Kapesa
    • Methodology
      Tonderai Kapesa, Gift Mugano
    • Writing – original draft
      Tonderai Kapesa
    • Validation
      Gift Mugano
    • Writing – review & editing
      Gift Mugano, Houdini Fourie
    • Supervision
      Gift Mugano, Houdini Fourie
    • Project administration
      Houdini Fourie
    • Resources
      Houdini Fourie